Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The big boys start whining

One of the more interesting headlines I have seen in the paper occurred a couple of weeks ago. I happen to read the Globe & Mail and there on the bottom of the page was a headline that 5 Universities in Canada were attempting to become "research centres of choice" for Government funding.

Now what does this mean? Why it means they are pining for more of our tax money to go to them and less to the other institutions. So who are the Glorious Five? U of T, McGill, Montreal University, U of Alberta and UBC. It's a who's who list of the big Universities in Canada.

So what is wrong with this you think? Well everything! First off research funding from tax payers should be given to those who are most responsible. If it is these 5 Universities then so be it but I think we'd find that places such as University of Waterloo provide far more bang for the research dollar than U of T does at this time.

I have also read where these same Glorious 5 want to become the Graduate Studies schools and leave the Undergrad degrees to everyone else. Smart thinking on their part. I can pay $6500 a year for tuition at LU or Laurier and get my BA. I can pay $20000 and up at U of T and get my MA. Who wins out in the end in that fee structure? Certainly not the undergraduate focused schools.

So what to do to stop this from happening? More to come...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/five-universities-team-up-to-push-for-the-lions-share-of-research-dollars/article1261964/

No comments:

Post a Comment