Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Can you promote your Alma Mater without supporting it with cash?

So I was thinking last night about whether I was speaking with a forked tongue when I stated I want to promote LU as a viable place for foreign students to attend and yet I have never donated a single dime after graduation.
Alumni support and donations are a huge factor in the growth of any college and University. Yet in Canada very few graduates give money to their school after they have graduated. This is partly the culture but I think it's something that I should change personally....and so should you.

Laurentian turns 50 years old in 2010 and they are currently running a huge fundraising campaign called "The Next 50" Campaign. I think it's a great goal and something for our school to strive for. The goal is to raise 50 million dollars to help the school continue to grow and become a hub for research and education in Northern Ontario.

Since I graduated in 1999 (egads 10 years ago now!) LU has added a Medical School, an English language Teacher's program and really developed a Graduate level program. Apparently even the old Phys Ed. Centre I spent so much of my time at has drastically changed.

I plan to donate money on an annual basis now. Heck even if it's $20 a year it can go a long way to helping make Laurentian an even better school.

Here is the information on the Next 50 Campaign: http://http://laurentian.ca/Laurentian/Home/Departments/Development+Office/Donation+Form.htm?Laurentian_Lang=en-CA

Most of my friends now are former LU students. If everyone donated $20 a year then we together will have raised about $500 a year. That's for roughly 25 people. I assume LU has 50,000 grads and if everyone donated $20 a year that's a cool million and pretty soon you're talking about real money.

What do you think? Would you donate to your Alma Mater?

No comments:

Post a Comment